In order to comply with Plan S, do I have to publish in a fully Open Access journal and pay a fee?
- Publishing in a fully OA journal or on an OA platform is only one of the three routes to compliance with Plan S. Not all of the routes to OA require the payment of an OA fee.
- As a second option, you could publish in a subscription journal (pure subscription or hybrid) and make a copy of your article (either the Author Accepted Manuscript or the Version of Record) immediately available OA via a repository under a CC-BY licence.
- Finally, as a third option, you could publish OA in a journal that is under a transformative arrangement.
- For full details see Part II of the Plan S Implementation Guidance.
- If you are based at a higher education institution your library may be able to advise.